Sunday, November 8, 2009

Michael Wesch

Michael Wesch's discussion on "The Machine Is Changing Us" hits on some very important topics. One of my least favorite topics discussed was the way the definition of the word "whatever" has changed through the generations. I felt like that was not very important to the discussion.
Many people may think that college is about having a good time and going to parties but its not that way for me. I have little time to spare, so I don't have a lot of time for social networks such as Myspace, Facebook, and Twitter. I have an account for all of these websites as a requirement for my EDM310 class but not a lot of time for them. However I check my Myspace account once a week. I wish I had more time to socialize with these different networks but unfortunately I don't.
When I teaching I don't plan on letting my students check their Myspace, Facebook, etc in my class, but I will let my students have an opportunity to have fun with technology by creating my class a blog for a website called Comments For Kids. I have participated in making comments on this website and I think it is a great way to let students have an opportunity to show the world their accomplishments.
Overall I agree with the comments Mr. Wesch makes on his video. Students are changing because there is so much going on in the 21st century. I believe that teachers will have to be one step ahead of the game to keep up with the children of the 21st century.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your blog. I do not have a lot of time either to just sit and socialize on the computer. It is there when I need it but, whatever. I thought him using that word as exampes was awesome.

    ReplyDelete