Saturday, September 26, 2009

Wikipedia Scanner

This week my EDM310 classmates and I were assigned to read a post by Virgil Griffith. His post was about a invention that he came up with that would help track down anonymous edits people make to Wikipedia entries. This invention was called the Wikipedia Scanner. The scanner tracks down the most interesting edits more quickly than others and tracks them down to the source.
What surprised me was that a lot of companies,like Exxon, would edit information they thought was unflattering about their company. I thought the BeaverScope would be the most useful because the program will track the editor to their location, the time of the edit, the user name, and what they edited. I'm sure this would be very embarrassing to the company and the editor.

No comments:

Post a Comment